Zero-sized downloads

Oolong

Zero-sized downloads

Postby Oolong » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:49 pm

There's a glitch I've run into a couple of times - I think it's when my phone tries to connect to one of those stupid public Wi-Fi hotspots that redirects through their own server to make you sign up to something. Anyway, what it does is causes Podkicker to download files with their sizes listed as 0.00B.

I feel like that should probably throw an error straight off the bat, but the fact it doesn't leads me into a minor feature request, I guess - every now and then it would be really nice to be able to get the app to re-download something, because it's somehow gone wrong the first time. Right now the only way I know to do that is delete the original download and locate where it first came from to go through the download process again. That's pretty inconvenient even if it's just one podcast - when it's a dozen or so podcasts I thought I'd downloaded in one go, it's downright impractical.

Anyway - thanks a lot! It's really a great app.

AndrewC

Re: Zero-sized downloads

Postby AndrewC » Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 am

I have the same problem.

If I put the zero length podcast in my playlist (I use classic mode) then when it gets to it, it will happily stream it over wifi, but I listen much more in the car than where I'm near wifi.

Some podcasts are more frequently affected than others: Freakonomics and This American Life more than any others, but never BBC ones, Answer Me This, nor TED Talks/The TED Radio Hour.

I suspect it happens more often if I lose Internet connection part way through downloading, but not always.

Sometimes deleting and re-downloading works as oolong mentions above, but sometimes I just get the same problem again.

It'd be great if I could select re-download from the drop down long click menu.

Your app is great, and without it my 45 minute commute was stressful, now it's an enjoyable part of the working day. Thank you so much.

GreatLakesMan

Postby GreatLakesMan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:01 am

I love the idea of a "download again" feature. I am frequently.spending much time going back to try and re-download podcasts that didn't download properly. I generally go through the new episode and grab 10 or 20 at a time, assuming that they are downloading as I select them only to find that many of them have didn't download, though Podkicker treats them as downloaded. I then have to write them all down and go back to try and find them to download again which is an arduous task if one has 50+ subscriptions. Podkicker is my absolute favorite podcast manager, BTW. I've tried them all and always end up sticking with Podkicker and it's lovely Classic Mode. Thanks

dhbentz

Postby dhbentz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm having this same problem. Stuff starts to download and if it fails because the wifi goes out of range or something, then I'm left with this useless incomplete file. The only way I've found to fix it is to delete, and go manually find the episode and download it again.

The proper behavior for the program would be to detect a failed download (remove the zero length file) and redownload the next time it's refreshing.

cmuld3r

Postby cmuld3r » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:31 pm

Same issue here. Any fix in the works?

SlickMcFavorite

Postby SlickMcFavorite » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 pm

I have this problem as well. I think it only happens on my work wifi, which gets an inconsistent connection, but it's very annoying and often requires me to delete and then attempt to redownload a podcast multiple times.

I've also noticed that some podcasts are more prone to the problem than others.

I use an LG G5

Sgleask

Postby Sgleask » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:12 pm

I am having the same issue and it is happening more and more often. Very frustrating.

Zamzara

Postby Zamzara » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:51 am

I've started having this problem in the last week. It's affecting audioboom hosted shows, and doesn't seem to be caused by poor internet connection.

I've tried resubscribing to the feeds, then clearing data and reinstalling the app, but even with a good connection these shows are giving 0 byte downloads. The shows download from the same URL correctly in a browser.

Zamzara

Postby Zamzara » Tue May 30, 2017 8:24 am

It seems to be fixed in the latest update- thank you and great work!

Return to “Bugs & Problems”