Save to SD card

Davidg8089

Save to SD card

Postby Davidg8089 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:07 am

I'm trying to have my podcasts saved directly to my sd card on my android phone and can't seem to get the syntax right.
I thought it would be something like:

/storage/ext SD Card/Podcasts/Podkickerdownloads

..but that doesn't seem to do it. Help?

jakob
Site Admin

Re: Save to SD card

Postby jakob » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:49 pm

It varies between devices

On my device it's /sdcard1/ or /storage/sdcard1

Use a file manager to find a directory thats writable on a storage and copy the path into podkicker

Davidg8089

Postby Davidg8089 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Ok, I've been trying variations of that. I'll add yours into the mix. Thanks! Why can't they make these damn things more uniform? You'd think we're still at the model-T level of electronics.

Diana

Postby Diana » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:33 am

This problem has been driving me crazy. None of the routes are accepted on my android phone. Any more suggestions gratefully received... also I put my existing podcasts to my SD card as my phone was too full but can't play them. Does anyone know a program that will play them or is it only podkicker?

aposak

Postby aposak » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:54 pm

tl;dr Most likely a permissions issue.
I tried this (on my VZW SGS3), and got similar results. I copied over the ./files and ./cache directories from the old location to the new, and then Podkicker accepted it as valid. However, it wouldn't download any new podcasts. Kept giving me a Permission Denied error.
My bet would be on an ownership/ permissions issue of the new directory. Old directory is owned by u0_a328:sdcard_r, which appears to be a special user account created for the Podkicker app. New directory (created with factory-installed My Files app) is owned by root:sdcard_r. Both directories have permissions set to 770, so it shouldn't be a problem... yet there it is. Only other difference I could find is the old parent directory (/storage/emulated/0/Android/data) has 771 permissions, where the new parent directory still has 770.
A fix for the developer would be to create whatever directory the user types into the dialog box using mkdir -p. The only fix I can see for the user is to root your phone to make the necessary adjustments as root.

aposak

Postby aposak » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:56 pm

Also, Davidg, Unix is picky about capitalization and doesn't like spaces. extSdCard and extSDCard are 2 different places.

Davidg8089

Postby Davidg8089 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks. Understood.

clipwolf

Postby clipwolf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:00 pm

@jakob On many Android 5 phones (like the LG G4), apps cannot write to the external SD card until they ask the system for permission, and the system prompts the user. I don't know what the API is, but the result is that a file picker comes up, and let's the user pick a folder, and the app can write in this folder or the folders within. (The user may choose the external SD root.)

It's implemented by basically all the popular storage-related apps: it's not optional, and there's no workaround without rooting. Let me know if you can't find the API and I'll have a look when I'm back in front of a computer.

pSiCloDaddy

Postby pSiCloDaddy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:47 pm

@jakob
Thanks for making this app! I've been using it for almost 4 years now- 2 years on my old android device and almost 2 years on my BlackBerry Q10 (which can run most android apps! :P).
I bought the Pro version a few years ago, but I've stuck with the free version because I couldn't figure out how to play my extensive list of already-downloaded episodes.. Would be nice to fix that, but it's not a deal-breaker for me..
Current problem, though: I recently had to replace my Q10 for unrelated reasons, and since I'd apparently been saving all my episodes on the device instead of the SD card, I lost them all & had to start over. Should I just keep trying different syntax for the "Download Location" dialog until I find the one that works? (FYI, in case it matters: BlackBerry 10 devices run QNX, and support an android runtime to enable the use of android apps.)
Possible solution(?): add a "Browse" button to the "Download Location" options; seems (to my novice mind, anyway) that doing so would solve many of these issues..
Thanks again!
Si

Geronimo

Postby Geronimo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:03 pm

I have used Podkicker for a long time and like it, but this problem is serious for me. I am running out of room on my phone and have a largely empty SD card. Can anyone recommend a different app that doesn't have this problem?

Return to “Bugs & Problems”